Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Preparation: Permit Application, February 1, 2011

Hello all. This is the start of the grand old adventure known as the John Muir Trail. Yosemite to Mt. Whitney. I plan to complete the hike solo and in 15 nights/16 days. 235 Miles and 47,000' of elevation gain.

There is a quota for backpacking the JMT. Leaving from Happy Isles in Yosemite, only 6 people per day can start the trail via a reservation. 4 more people can obtain walk in permits the day before you plan on hiking. The first day I could apply for my original departure was February 1st at midnight. First attempt=denied :(. Second attempt=denied, third attempt=denied. At this point I was considering just driving up in July and waiting in line for a walk in permit. A litte risky with all the planning, purchasing of food & gear and getting time off from work. I was just about to give up on the reservation thing when my fourth attempt was approved :). What a relief. So, I am now going to start the JMT on Friday July 22nd.

The plan is to leave Southern California on July 19th, drop off my truck at Whitney Portal, then head for Yosemite. We (Judy will be accompanying me to Yosemite) are hoping to reserve at campsite somewhere in Yosemite near the Happy Isles trailhead. Upper Pines hopefully. July 20th we want to climb Half Dome or Clouds Rest if permits are unavailable for Half Dome. July 21st will be a chillax day, then I am off first thing the 22nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment